Red Lion Chambers is ranked as one of the leading criminal sets at the Bar.
Since we were founded in the 1940s our members have appeared in many of the major trials of their time. These include Gunter Podola; the Hatfield Rail crash; the Krays; the Yorkshire Ripper; the Guildford Four; Jeremy Bamber; Damilola Taylor; the Soham case; Tony Martin and more recently the Ipswich serial murders.
Our barristers continue to be instructed to defend and prosecute in some of the highest profile murder and manslaughter cases in the country and are accustomed to dealing with complex evidence in a broad range of trials that require expert examination and strategic planning.
Members of chambers appear in homicide cases involving complex issues such as;
- Multi-handed cut-throat defences
- Young and / or vulnerable defendants and victims
- Anonymous witnesses
- Complex scientific evidence relating to causation, low copy DNA or disputed medical opinion
- Health & Safety Corporate Manslaughter workplace breaches
- Honour killings
- Gangland shootings
- Diminished responsibility
- Suicide pacts
Members of chambers also appear in cases involving other offences against the person such as;
- Grievous bodily harm (GBH)
- Wounding and the full range of assaults
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Aggravated burglary
- Kidnapping and false imprisonment
- Child abuse
- Riot and violent disorder and other public order offences
We are home to skilled advocates who are able to apply intricate analysis to each case, with a firm grasp on complex cases involving forensic telephone evidence, expert cell site and DNA patterns and detailed cross-examination and explanation.
Each case varies in complexity and approach. Whether the case is a short trial of a single defendant, or a multi-hander involving weeks of complex and/conflicting evidence, we have the experience to assist. Our members are persuasive jury advocates who can also deploy precise legal arguments to the court and who have highly refined skills in examination and cross-examination of witnesses.
Whatever the size of the case, we pride ourselves on the commitment we show to our clients, our diligence and analysis of the law.
- Stephen Port Serial killer who targeted gay men
- Casey Jones Four drug dealers commit double murder
- Colin Deferia Alleged hire of contract killers to execute his daughter’s former partner
- Tohel Uddin Woman tortured and murdered by family members
- R v X Colchester double killings on the grounds of diminished responsibility
- Mahboob Baig Assassination murder conspiracy
- Paul Mallin Double homicide, Manslaughter due to diminished responsibility
- R v Preddie Second (successful) prosecution for the killing of Damilola Taylor
For More Information or To Instruct Us
With our expert understanding of the criminal justice system we guide our clients through the legal process. Our barristers regularly undertake privately funded, direct access and legal aid work.
To discuss your options in more detail, for more information regarding our fee structure or to discuss a specific case please contact our clerking team.
If you are a professional client and would like to discuss in-house training and seminar opportunities, please contact Jennifer Ukaegbu.