Faras is a specialist in financial crimes such as fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, market abuse and corruption. He advises in internal investigations relating to financial misconduct and breaches of international sanctions.
Current instructions include advising in an international corruption investigation, acting as lead disclosure counsel in an international trade finance fraud; as first prosecution junior in a land banking fraud; and as first prosecution junior in a conspiracy to cheat the Revenue.
Faras acts for individuals and companies facing criminal proceedings and for specialist fraud prosecutors such as the SFO, HMRC and CPS (Specialist Fraud Division). He has recently given presentations to City law firms, prosecution agencies and the investment bank JP Morgan on the Common Reporting Standard (international exchange of information to identify off-shore assets) and the extension of corporate liability.
Fraud and Business Crime
Professional Disciplinary & Regulatory
- R v P (2017) Defence of company director charged with laundering of proceeds of international diversion frauds. (Jnr alone)
- Operation Closeknit (2015-2016) 2 month trial of company directors charged with laundering the proceeds of alcohol diversion fraud. (First junior) Press Link: Thanet Gazette
- Operations Chainmail & Crystallite (2013 – 2016) 14 defendants prosecuted across 3 trials over 12 months charged with conspiracy to cheat the Revenue by manipulating film schemes. Defendants included a former EY partner and 8 former senior investment bankers from RBS and Bear Stearns. (First pros. Jnr) Press Link: Financial Times
- Operation Kyrenia (2013 – 2016) 3 month trial of cardiothoracic clinicians charged with defrauding an NHS Trust over four years. Followed by complex confiscation proceedings. (First pros. Jnr) Press Link: Telegraph
- R v Okoh and Ors (2013) Defending in a £6 million security industry fraud. (Jnr alone) Press Link: News Hopper
- R v Shah (2012) Conspiracy to defraud the Home Office. (Def. Jnr) Press Link: Economic Times
- R v Karimzada (2011) Defence counsel for first defendant in £11m international money laundering conspiracy. (Jnr alone)
- R v Baird and Ors (2011) SFO prosecution of boiler rooms company director under FSMA. (First pros. Jnr). Press Link: Money Marketing
- R v S (2011) SFO prosecution of company director deploying boiler rooms to sell shares in his company. (First pros. Jnr)
Faras is a member of the HSE, ORR and EA Panel and is a member of the Chambers Fire Law Team.
- R v BSG Ltd (2012) Defence of company and its officers charged with destruction of 13 acres of protected woodland (Jnr alone). Press Link: News Hopper
- R v Zheng (2012) Defence of company director charged with multi million pound jewellery counterfeiting and breach of EU REACH enforcement regulations (Jnr alone).
Faras has advised major international organisations and foreign courts on AML, sanctions, enforcement and discrete matters of UK law.
- Acting in a regulatory investigation into the activities of a global bank, examining issues of corporate governance advising on the applicability of international sanctions legislation and AML.
- Advising US court on history of terrorism legislation in UK.
- Advising a multi billion dollar construction company in relation to the enforcement of an arbitral award.