Red Lion Chambers advises and represents UK fire and rescue authorities, public and investigatory bodies, defendant companies and their directors.
Our Fire Law Team comprises specialist barristers who also work in the closely connected areas of health and safety, rail regulation and environmental law.
What is Fire Safety?
The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 introduced profound change to the way businesses must approach fire safety for their employees and those who visit their premises.
Companies, company directors and partners in businesses can be personally liable for fire safety breaches and face prosecution in the criminal courts. Breaches can result in significant fines as well as serious damage to a defendant’s reputation whether it is a company or a directing mind of the organisation.
Our barristers are able to offer expert guidance, advice and representation in respect of:
- Prosecutions by the Fire Brigade
- Strategic planning to mitigate the risk of breaches
- Fire safety enforcement notices
- The implementation and maintenance of a fire management plan
- Training on fire safety law
Chambers have acted in high-profile defence and prosecutions under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, including:
- Cases involving fatalities in a multi-occupancy dwelling
- Fatalities in a hospice
- A case involving the prosecution of a large chain of nightclubs for over-crowding
- Defending a company director prosecuted for a fire caused by a business tenant’s negligence
- Defending and prosecuting in arson cases
- The prosecution of a major oil company following a large oil leak in East London
- Cases involving fires at businesses, including care homes and hotels
The Fire Law Team has writtin articles in relation to fire law in the legal and national press. Our Team regularly represents clients in the Crown Court and Court of Appeal.