Nicola is an experienced senior junior who both prosecutes and defends in the full spectrum of serious cases encompassing murder, manslaughter, rape, historical sexual abuse, neglect, and large scale drugs conspiracies. Nicola is regularly instructed in cases involving vulnerable witnesses or defendants where she is recognised for her excellent witness and client management skills.
General Crime/HomicideSexual OffencesRoad Traffic
Nicola has both prosecuted and defended in murder/manslaughter cases, many involving multi defendant trials. She has also been involved in cases involving kidnapping, false imprisonment, and serious drugs trafficking cases
- R v D (2016) Prosecuted domestic violence GBH with intent. The victim woke bleeding and badly hurt with fractures to her hands, possible fractures to cheek, jaw and eye socket and 6 teeth knocked out, and with no recollection of what had happened. Her children confirmed that the only other person who had been in the premises was the Defendant, and they had heard banging coming from the room in the night. The Defendant was convicted.
- R v P and others (2016) Defended multi-handed conspiracy to rob and money laundering.
- R v H others (2013) Prosecution junior in a three month trial concerning a syndicate involved in the large scale distribution of Class A drugs. The case involved evidence from an undercover officer and the analysis and presentation of complex and voluminous telephone material.
- R v E and others (2013) Junior prosecution counsel in a five-defendant murder trial where the victim had been kicked to death. Many of the prosecution witnesses were reluctant and/or vulnerable. All five defendants were convicted.
- R v W and others (2012) Junior prosecution counsel which dismantled an Organised Crime Group involved in a large-scale Class A drugs conspiracy.
- R v B-F and others (2011) Junior defence counsel in a two-month £1m telecommunications fraud prosecuted by Trading Standards.
- R v B & Others (2010) Junior defence counsel in a multi-handed murder where the victim had been stabbed and then subsequently run over: complex issues of causation and identification: acquitted.
A large proportion of Nicola’s practice concerns both prosecuting and defending defendants charged with rape, historic sexual abuse, and possession of indecent images
- R v B (2017) Successfully defended historic child abuse, indecent assault of child between 10-11 years old. Def acquitted.
- R v W (2016) Prosecuted rape of a vulnerable and disabled victim who had been taking medication which caused drowsiness by her live-in partner. He was acquitted of rape, but convicted of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.
- R v S and others (2012) Leading defence counsel where the defendant was charged with the management of numerous brothels in the Suffolk area.
- R v W (2012) Defended sexual activity with a child who had ADHD and a low I.Q. Application made to exclude the defendant’s interview owing to lack of appropriate adult was refused by the trial judge: subsequent conviction was overturned on appeal with no re-trial ordered.
- R v S (2010) Junior counsel prosecuting historical allegations of physical/sexual abuse against pupils during the defendants tenure as Headmaster: convicted of 13 of 15 contested charges.
- R v S and others (2008) Defended a woman in a multi-handed trial charged with being concerned in the management of brothels in the Suffolk area. Successful submission of no case to answer.
Nicola has represented defendants charged with causing death by dangerous/careless driving and accepts private instructions to represent defendants charged with the full spectrum of driving offences.