Red Lion Chambers is an active supporter of initiatives to improve access to the Bar. Our mini-pupillage scheme is part of our commitment to encouraging the aspirations of prospective barristers from all backgrounds.
- Red Lion Chambers currently offers a non-assessed criminal mini-pupillage scheme to enable prospective barristers to spend a week observing our work in the London area.
- The scheme runs predominantly over the summer and in special circumstances may extend into autumn.
- The length of a mini-pupillage varies from 2 to 5 days in order to accommodate applicants.
- Places are offered only to those aged 18 years and above.
- Applicants should submit applications by way of covering letter and CV.
- Applications should be submitted by the 31 March 2020 to email@example.com.
- Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
a. The extent to which their covering letter illustrates an understanding of chambers’ work and enthusiasm for RLC specifically.
b. Academic ability, including drafting skills exhibited by the covering letter and CV.
c. Skills and readiness for the Criminal Bar, including public speaking / advocacy experience.
- Applications will also be assessed against the overarching criteria of trying to promote access to the bar and equal opportunity. We particularly encourage applications from black and minority ethnic candidates, and from those with non-traditional backgrounds, including from backgrounds that are underrepresented at the Bar. Can applicants to whom this may apply outline any relevant information in their covering letter.
- Offers of mini-pupillages will be sent to successful candidates by April / May 2020.
- Mini-pupils will be expected to travel to court in London within the M25. In special circumstances financial assistance can be provided to mini-pupils. Requests for financial assistance should be submitted following an offer of a mini-pupillage.
- Chambers is committed to principles of equality and diversity and will make reasonable adjustments to facilitate mini-pupillages. Requests for reasonable adjustments should be submitted following an offer of a mini-pupillage.